Monday, July 19, 2010
Zucchini and Green Tomato Relish
I used my food processor with the blade attachment and pulsed the vegetables to small pieces. You can also use a knife to do this, just takes more time.
* 4 1/2 cups ground zucchini, about 2 1/2 pounds
* 2 cups ground green tomatoes, about 1 1/2 pounds
* 1 large red bell peppers, ground
* 1 large onion, peeled, ground
* 1/3 cup pickling salt or kosher salt
* 3 cups cider vinegar
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 2 teaspoon mixed pickling spices
* 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
Put ground vegetables in a large stainless, enamel or glass container with salt; gently stir to combine. Top with about 3 cups of ice cubes, cover, and let stand for 3 hours. Drain and lightly rinse.
In a large, stainless, enamel or glass kettle combine the vinegar, sugar, spices, and garlic. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add drained vegetable mixture and bring slowly to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Pack into clean jars. Wipe rims with a clean damp cloth and seal with 2-part lids. Process in a boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.
Makes about 5 half pints.
Girls, canning is no big mystery. Get a "Ball Blue Book" and follow the directions. It is very satisfying to fill your pantry with home canned food from your own garden, and hunting.